There is no sure fire way you’ll ever ace Google’s smart algorithm every single time. However by using this simple 10 step process you will have a better chance of success.
Remember every article you write equates to a sales rep that works 24/7 for you. So you effectively want to achieve the best representation of what you have to offer with your words and good quality Search Engine Optimization (SEO) practices.
LET’S GET STARTED SHALL WE?
1. Select a keyword phrase as your theme. Your first step is to choose a keyword phrase to base your article on. Use your keyword as a theme and try not to solely focus on that phrase alone. Otherwise your content becomes narrow in discussion and you’ll end up keyword stuffing your content.
2. Check your competitors in the Google Search Engine Results Page (SERPS). Ideally you should check your competition in Google before committing to a phrase. Although your keyword software suggests that a phrase is low in competition it could be the case because there are too many authority sites listed in the results.
The keyword tool I use is Jaaxy which gives an excellent gage on competition data. You can try 30 searches for free.
3. Write your content in small chunks. This is due to the fact that there are more mobile users accessing the Internet. It is also ideal if you write using a mix of:
You only have 8 seconds to convince a visitor to stay on your page. Following these guidelines will ensure he or she will stay on your page long enough, equally reducing your bounce rate.
4. Adding your keyword to the Meta Title. Some may argue the next two steps. I however have done some testing and I have found it is important to add your keyword to the Meta Title. Also ensure you keep the text to 55-60 characters.
5. Adding your keyword to the Meta Description. Again you’ll need to keep your text to a minimum which is 155-160 characters. If appropriate I also add a simple call to action such as “Click Here” or “Read More”. You can achieve steps 4 and 5 with the All In One SEO plugin.
6. Include an image or more where appropriate. Adding an image to your content will help you achieve social sharing with sites such as:
A good free resource for images of which I use is CreativeCommons.org. They have a fantastic range of images to suit all niches. Your only requirement is to provide a link back to the owner of the image and a link to Creative Commons for the licence.
7. Link to an internal page on your website. Link to other pages on your website especially older content. Internal linking is fantastic for SEO and improved rankings. Make sure you use anchor text that is relevant to both pages and link out to an authority site in your niche if possible.
8. Test your Conversion Optimization. To test if your page is going to convert well, incorporate a small PPC Campaign. You could spend around $5-$10 to see if your page is achieving the results you want.
Although this won’t directly impact your rankings it does help you to prepare and get the most out of your top rankings when achieved.
9. Socially share your content with the major networks. Gaining social popularity is very important for search engine rankings. The top networks who play a major role in your ranking scores are:
You can get a number of free WordPress plugins that will automatically submit your posts to these networks. Be sure to add social sharing buttons to your pages and posts.
10. Create a YouTube video or a podcast. YouTube videos are a great way to achieve higher rankings. If you’re not comfortable being on camera you can always do a PowerPoint presentation with your voice or appropriate background music.
The other option is to create podcasts and record your article. This is easily achieved with your voice recording app on your phone.
BONUS STEP – HOW TO RANK HIGHER ON GOOGLE
Once you have made all the necessary changes you can complete the process by telling Google you have updated your page. For this final step I will be assuming you have Google Search Console.
1. Go to Crawl
2. Go to Fetch As Google
3. Enter Your Updated URL
4. Select Fetch and Render
5. Select Submit To Index
The final part of this process is to select whether you want only the URL in question to be crawled or all direct links. Select Go and your done! I would also recommend re-submitting your sitemap for good measure.
There’s no guarantee your page will be indexed higher than it currently is but these simple steps can greatly increase your chances. Every time you write a new article use these steps then move on to your next article. Give Google a chance to analyse your page.
Also remember that over time, there are literally hundreds of other keywords you will rank for. Just because a keyword phrase has a low search volume, keep in mind that your entire page is full of additional keyword phrases! The more content you write and publish the easier it will be for your pages to be indexed and ranked much higher naturally.
The above steps are available on a replay of Jay’s Live Video Classes at Wealthy Affiliate. If you would like to subscribe for this class and other replays inclusive of a weekly class CLICK HERE .If you have any questions about these steps to rank higher in Google please leave your comments below.